Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Banned Books Week

I thought about this. And thought about it some more. I thought about sharing stories. Of feeling pressure to redact what you offer to or in front of children, of feeling pressure to offer the best quality reading and experiences for kids. Of being in charge of my development as a reader once I was able to read on my own. Of how laughable the reasons for banning books, and as often as not, how disappointed I have been to read a naughty book and to find it insufferably dull. Of how empowering it can be to decide for oneself what to read (and what to reject), especially when you're a kid who has little control over anything in your life.

But for today, all I have to say about book banning is: don't.

http://www.bannedbooksweek.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails