Monday, February 20, 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

Ah, the beginning of the year, when I always have this idea about spring cleaning and books--

Well, it's sort of working: I've read a book from my bedside pile and a book from the "read and sort" pile, and started re-sorting a bookshelf into "those books you can never get rid of, and books that you need to read."

One of the books I picked out of the read and sort pile was The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith (Little, Brown). Hadley misses the plane to her father's wedding, and when she does, she meets Oliver, on his way back to London to see family too. Their connection, made at first sight but deepening as they hurtle across the Atlantic, seems ephemeral when they lose track of each other upon landing. Somehow, though, they're drawn together over the next twenty-four hours, as Hadley meets her new stepmother for the first time, and Oliver says goodbye to someone.

I wasn't all that sure about the premise of this book, even as I went along. I kept thinking that surely I'd get bored reading about two people sitting next to each other on a plane--no changes in scenery, not much to do but talk, and honestly, I hate talking to people on planes. Yet, this works, and the personal journeys intertwine in a satisfying and romantic way. It was nice to read about two people who have individual personalities finding (young) love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails