Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cybils!

Nominations are closed, and I believe that approximately one gazillion books got a nomination nod. I nominated some books I've read--and some that I know enough about to think that they warranted a nomination.


Ninth WardFantasy and Science Fiction - middle/elementary: Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes (I nominated it in a different category, but it's being considered here)








Brain JackFantasy and Science Fiction - teen: Brain Jack by Brian Falkner









SubwayFiction Picture Books: Subway by Christoph Niemann

Trickster: Native American Tales: A Graphic Collection (Fulcrum Press)





 

Graphic Novels - middle/elementary: Trickster: Native American Tales: A Graphic Collection by Matthew Dembicki (I think I nominated this for YA graphic novels, but it's being considered here)



  
Bamboo PeopleYoung Adult Fiction: Bamboo People by Mitali Perkins









Since I haven't reviewed any of these on this blog, I'm not going to spill which are my already-reads and which are my to-reads. Well, I will spill one: I read a sample copy of Subway this summer, and I kept wavering between Subway, Push Button, and Too Purpley, the latter two important to me because they are picture books about kids, and if I didn't know better, I'd think they were about kids I know. I thought about Memoirs of a Goldfish and Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World too, because of the funny factor, and both of those were nominated. In the end, I went with Subway as having a very different look from what else I've seen lately--and you can see it on the Greenwillow blog here.

I was going to copy in a listing of all the books nominated in the YA division of the fantasy and science fiction category, with pretty pictures and everything, but wow: there are 152 nominated books. (That's one long blog post!) I think I'll wait until around the end of round one and post the list and links to other first round judges' reviews.

In the meantime, you can see all of the middle grade and young adult fantasy and science fiction books here. I'm sad that I won't be able to read all of them (I might have made it before the end of December back when this genre wasn't clocking in at 400+ pages so often), but I'm going through books that I have and haven't read as quickly as I can. If I can, I'll pull out some reviews that I made off-blog that I haven't had time to post here yet.

Also in the meantime, for something pretty, check out the Printz Previews blog. It's a fan-made book trailer project created by teachers, librarians, and teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails