Monday, October 4, 2010

Getting Books Signed--Almost a Hiatus

I usually write my posts and reviews and schedule them for later, and I've got some lined up, but I'll be around less than usual in the next week and a half to comment on other blogs or answer comments here. Why? One of my volunteer projects is organizing conferences (you can find links on the right-hand side of the blog), and one of those conferences is coming up in October.
Inspired by the daring adventures of women characters and compelled by the brilliant works by women authors, Sirens is dedicated to women in fantasy literature. Our conference, part scholarly examination and part networking retreat, welcomes academics, authors, professionals, and readers—and encourages all attendees to provide their perspectives on fantasy books by women, female characters in fantasy works, the market for fantasy by and about women, and how to support women in fantasy literature.

Within our focus on women in fantasy, each year Sirens selects a type of female character to feature—and in 2010, we will feature faeries of all kinds: powerful and mischievous, helpful and ruthless, kind and vengeful. Our guests for 2010 are Holly Black, Marie Brennan, and Terri Windling, each of whom has written of myriad fey, faery courts, and even mortals. Sirens will take place October 7–10, 2010, at the Vail Cascade Resort and Spa in Vail, Colorado. You can see this year's programming here.
Last year's theme was warriors, and Tamora Pierce, Sherwood Smith, and Kristin Cashore were the guests of honor. When I get back, I'll post something about the 2011 theme and guests. In the meantime, I'll be running around like a confused chicken, doing things like checking on how chairs are laid out, making sure everything's plugged in as it ought to be, and  if I can find a moment to breathe, talking about fantasy and getting books signed!

Also, when I get back , I'm planning a "flyover states" giveaway of a signed copy of Only the Good Spy Young. Economics of traveling mean that some states don't get visited on author tours as often, so I'm planning a giveaway for people in the perceived-as-hinterlands.

See you on the other side of a few busy weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, just a note to say I have included you in an award post at my blog.

    Chazz
    http://chazzhart.blogspot.com

    PS, did check to see if you are "award free" so I hope I didn't miss it in some fine print somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails